Ingredients – serves four, just cut ingredients in half to serve two.
• 8 ounce) package macaroni
• 4tablespoons butter
• 4tablespoons flour
• 1cup milk
• 1cup cream
• 1⁄2teaspoon salt
• fresh ground black pepper, to taste
• 2cups cheddar cheese, shredded good quality
• 1⁄2cup breadcrumbs, buttered
• Preheat oven to 400°F.
• Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions; set aside.
• In a large saucepan melt butter.
• Add flour mixed with salt and pepper, using a whisk to stir until well blended.
• Pour milk and cream in gradually; stirring constantly.
• Bring to boiling point and boil 2 minutes (stirring constantly).
• Reduce heat and cook (stirring constantly) 10 minutes.
• Add shredded cheddar little by little and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
TIP* to save time there are some very good packet cheese sauces you can choose from and save on cooking time.
• Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with the cheese sauce.
• Transfer macaroni to a buttered baking dish.
• Place sliced tomatoes on the top.
• Bake 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.