A cavity, also known as tooth decay, is one of the main contributing factors for people losing their teeth at a younger age. For those there are very few options to replace the teeth they have lost including dental implants, dentures, and bridges.
- Brush- It’s important that you brush your teeth twice a day using fluoride based toothpaste to help prevent cavities.
- Eat healthy- Good nutrients lead to healthy teeth and play an important role in your overall oral health. Limit sugar intake and eat nutritional snacks to help prevent cavities.
- Use mouthwash- An antibacterial mouthwash will not only leave your breath smelling fresh, it can help in cavity prevention as well.
- Sugarless Gum- By increasing the amount of saliva in your mouth you can prevent cavities.
- Sealants- Sealants help to protect your teeth from getting cavities because they are able to shield against plaque and bacteria. Sealants are beneficial for both children and adults.
- Floss- It’s equally important that you floss your teeth after every meal and between snacks to make sure there are no food particles left behind that could cause cavities.
- Dental Checkups- Your dentist can spot early cavities using dental x-rays and can help prevent cavities by giving your mouth and teeth a professional cleaning. Be sure to set up an appointment with your dentist at least every six months for a regular checkup.